A reliable wireless internet router is one of the most essential technological elements needed, whether one just wants to make their home smarter or if one wishes to have the best experience while streaming videos and music at home.
Many different types of internet routers are available for different purposes. Choosing the right type of router is very important. For example, in a big house where there are a lot of dead spots with low throughput, mesh networks are highly recommended which consists of a Wi-Fi router along with a few satellite nodes that are placed around the house to provide more coverage. Mesh routers are useful to provide full home coverage. A conventional and less expensive wireless router is adequate for small houses and apartments.
- One of the best mesh Wi-Fi routers available is the Netgear Orbi RBK50 which has a 3-port built-in ethernet switch and a dedicated 1733 Mbps 4×4 radio utilized for backhaul between the satellites and the router. It comes with speeds of around 2.2 GHz and has coverage of around 6000 square feet.
- The best in budget would be the TP-Link Deco M5 which has a dual band Wi-Fi network, which operates on a 2.4 GHz band on one network and a 5GHz band on another network and relies on the same for backhaul of data.
- Most people, though consider the Samsung Connect Home as the best mesh Wi-Fi for smart houses due to its integrated smart home hub, which is easy to use and convenient for the user but has less power and flexibility when compared to other mesh routers.
- One of the best routers for large homes is the Linksys AC1900 which is extremely affordable and is capable of handling a lot of devices and can reach speeds of up to 1.9 Gbps.
- The best in-budget router is considered to be TP-Link AC1200 which is a small router with a great performance at a reasonable price. It comes with a speed of around 1.2 Gbps with a 2 year warranty and detachable antennas along with a handy USB port.
- The best internet router for gaming would be the Netgear Nighthawk XR500 which has an amazing bandwidth allocation along with many ports for consoles and PCs. It can achieve high speeds of around 2.6 Gbps with the help of its 1.7 GHz processor and high performance antennas.
- One of the best performers as an internet router built specifically for streaming is the ASUS AC5300 which comes with 8 LAN ports for many smart devices and has built-in award winning security. Though it comes with a high price tag, it provides speeds of 5.3 Gbps and 512 MB of memory along with a coverage of 5000 square feet.
- The best internet router in terms of speed would be the Netgear Nighthawk X10 AD7200 which has three band speeds of a whopping 7.2 Gbps and is extremely durable and versatile along with being easy for installation and usage. It features two USB 3.0 external ports with 6 Ethernet Gigabit ports which can handle VR gaming, downloads and even 4K streaming without any lags.
- The best internet router for busy homes would be the Asus Blue Cave AC2600 which comes with voice controlling for Amazon Echo and Alexa and has a sleek and futuristic design to appeal to the user. It is a dual band internet router which also comes with advanced scheduling and parent controls with a good user interface and great security features. It also offers speeds up to 2.6 Gbps and 4 LAN ports which can be used to set up home theatres or multiple gaming consoles.
- The best router with the most advanced technology specifications would be the Netgear Nighthawk AX8 which can reach up to 6 Gbps of wireless speed and can be paired with around 50 devices. It also supports 8K streaming and has a full RAM of 1 GB. It has a quad core processor of 1.8 GHz and 512 MB of flash memory and also supports the backward compatibility of all existing devices connected to the Wi-Fi. This router does anything from streaming to downloading and playing various video games too.
- The best internet router with a combination of everything is the Google Wi-Fi, which with its simple and attractive design covers around 4500 square feet and has easy set up and installation. It also comes with satellites with each unit having a speed of around 500 Mbps. It has 4GB of flash memory and a RAM of 512 MB and can cover a huge area with the help of its quad core CPU. It can be easily controlled through its app which is downloadable for iOS and Android.
Choose the right router for yourself by understanding your needs and requirements and also consider the performance and budget of the router before choosing one.